« More Insights

Europe & CIS

UK will need £300 million for post-Brexit customs system
HM Revenue and Customs estimates it will need about 5,000 extra customs officials to deal with border controls. The UK freight industry has expressed growing concern about the lack of available infrastructure at points of entry.

Annual report on dual-use export controls 
[European Commission]

EU broadens coverage of AD duty order on aluminium foil from China
[Official Journal of the EU]

Middle East

New UAE regulations for VAT expected to be implemented 1 January
The regulations include details on registration procedures, deregistration, thresholds, due dates, exemptions, and the treatment of exports, tourists, and business visitors.


Uncertain future for economic partnership agreements with EU 
Under the EPAs, African, Caribbean, and Pacific countries are allowed to keep protecting 20 percent of their products (mostly agricultural) with import tariffs and the other 80 percent will be liberalised gradually over 20 years. However, only two of the seven negotiated deals have been signed, ratified, and implemented, and the agreements with West Africa and East Africa are stalled.
[Inter Press Service]

African Export-Import Bank gets €100 million for sub-Saharan Africa projects
The loan agreement with the European Investment Bank will provide funds to finance trade-related investments and projects in more than 40 countries across the region. Among other things, the facility is expected to boost African trade with the European Union.
[Global Trade Review]

Regional trade declines for second straight year
The 19.5 percent decline in 2016 was the result of falling prices and demand for exports caused by an unfavourable global economic environment, the EAC Trade and Investment Report finds. Trade within the region also fell, by $4.2 billion.
[Daily Monitor]